Windows® 7 allows you to customize the icons displayed in the Windows® notification area (taskbar or system tray). The icons will automatically hide after a set period of time. This can be a benefit because it increases the workspace, but it may also be problematic. For example, by default, the Skype® icon hides automatically after a certain period of time. Therefore, if you are not looking at the screen the moment someone sends you a message, you may miss it, and you will not learn about it until you expand the list of icons. Therefore, you may wish to have the Skype® icon permanently displayed. To learn how to easily customize your Windows® icons in the system tray, follow the instructions below.
- Click the arrow button in the Windows® notification area, and then click on the “Customize...” link.
- In the list of tray icons, find the program whose settings you wish to change, then select the option you prefer in the dropdown menu:
Show icon and notifications – the icon will be always displayed.
Hide icon and notifications – the icon will be always hidden.
Only show notifications – the icon will be shown only if the program status changes.
- Click the “OK” button.
- Congratulations! You have now customized an icon in your Windows® taskbar!
Tips and tricks:
- You can restore the default settings of all the Windows® icons by clicking on the “Restore default icon behaviors” link in the main settings window.
- To turn all the system icons on or off, click on the link “Turn system icons on or off” in main settings window.